- Ph.D. in Romance Languages and Literatures, Harvard University
- B.A. in French, Chatham College
Courses Commonly Taught
- France and Its Others: Race, Ethnicity and Difference in French Cinema (FR 41)
- Revelations and Revolutions: French-language Autobiography and Self-Representation (FR 166)
- Being beur in France: littérature et cinéma de la génération beure (FR 121)
- Le 17 octobre 1961, lorsque la littérature raconte l’histoire (FR 120)
- Jewish North Africa in Literature and Film (FR 172/Cross listed with Jewish Studies 177)
- “The Critical Pulse of the Contre-enquête: Kamel Daoud on the Maghrebi Novel In French.” Contemporary French and Francophone Studies. Special issue on the Contemporary Maghrebi Novel in French. 20.1 (2016) 37-46.
- “In the Absence of the Archive (Paris, October 17, 1961).” South Central Review 31.1 (Spring 2014) 34-54.
- “Are We Post-Francophone Yet? Coming to Terms with Dissatisfaction.” In Francophone Cultures and Geographies of Identity. Eds. Adlai Murdoch and Zuszsanna Fagyal. Cambridge Scholars Press, 2013.
- “Du jeu dans le texte: nouvelles pistes de lecture.” Littérature et jeu: des enjeux essentiels. Ed. Samir Marzouki. Series: Documents pour l’Histoire des Francophonies 28. Peter Lang, 2013. 81-86.
- “When Good Sentiments Make for ‘Bad’ Cinema: Reconsidering Allegory in Un été à la Goulette.” Contemporary French and Francophone Studies 17.1 (Winter 2013) 28-37.
- “La Banlieue to the Moon: Rachid Djaïdani’s Displacement of Paris.” Contemporary French Civilization 35.2 (2011) 87-109.
- “Blindness, the Visual and Ekphrastic Impulses. Albert Memmi Colors in the Lines.” French Studies: New Ekphrastic Poetics (Special Issue). 64.3 (July 2010) 317-328.
- “Hostages of Authenticity: Paul Smaïl, Azouz Begag and the Invention of the Beur Author.” French Forum 34.2 (Spring 2009) 113-130.
- “My Algeria Hurts: A Review Essay of Denis Guénoun’s A Semite: A Memoir of Algeria.” Journal of the Society for Contemporary Thought and the Islamicate World. Online journal, pub date: January 13, 2015.
- The Desert or The Adventures of Jubaïr el-Mammi by Albert Memmi. Translated from the French by Judith Roumani. CELAAN Review. In production; forthcoming June 2017.
- Le Partage des mémoires: La guerre d’Algérie en littérature, au cinéma et sur le web by Djemaa Maazouzi, H-France 16.189 (Sept 2016). 3 pgs.
- Calypso Jews: Jewishness in the Caribbean Literary Imagination by Sarah Phillips Casteel, Contemporary Jewry 36.2 (Oct 2016): 271-273.
- Remembering French Algeria: Pieds-Noirs, Identity and Exile by Amy Hubbell, French Studies 70.4 (Oct 2016): 625-626.
- The Allure of the Archive by Arlette Farge, Francosphères 3.1 (2014) 115-116.
- Postcolonial Francophone Autobiographies: From Africa to the Antilles by Edgard Sankara and Postcolonial Poetics: Genre and Form, edited by Patrick Crowley and Jane Hiddleston, Journal of Postcolonial Writing 48.5 (Dec 2012): 566-568.
- Israeli-Palestinian Conflict in the Francophone World, edtied by Natalie Debrauwere-Miller, Contemporary French Civilization 35.2 (2011) 181-84.
- (French-English) Albert Memmi. “Autoportrait” in Souffles: A Critical Anthology from the Moroccan Journal of Culture and Politics. Eds. Olivia Harrison and Teresa Villa-Ignacio. Stanford UP, 2015.
- (French-English, co-translation with Olivia Harrison) Abraham Serfaty. “Moroccan Jewry and Zionism” in Souffles: A Critical Anthology from the Moroccan Journal of Culture and Politics. Eds. Olivia Harrison and Teresa Villa-Ignacio. Stanford UP, 2015.
- (French-English) Danielle Bohler. “Frontally and in Profile: The Identifying Gesture of the Late Medieval Author” in The Medieval Author in Medieval French Literature. Ed. Virginie Greene. Palgrave, 2006.
- (French-English) “Interviews with Seydou Keita and Malick Sidibé.” You Look Beautiful Like That: The Portrait Photographs of Seydou Keita and Malick Sidibé. Michelle Lamunière. Yale UP, 2002.
Honors and Awards
- American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Fellowship (2015-16)
- Camargo Foundation Fellowship. Residency in Cassis, France. (Fall 2014)
- University of California President’s Faculty Fellowship in the Humanities. (2012-2013)
- Editorial Board, Society for Francophone Postcolonial Studies (2016-2019)
- Member of Modern Language Association, LLC Francophone Forum (2016-2021)
- Area Editor, North African Francophone Literature, The Literary Encyclopedia (2012-2014)